Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thoughts on a Candy

In my short story about Abdu'l-Baha's visit to the United States, I imagine a meeting between the Persian visitor and two young boys. Those boys share with the strange gentleman a new candy, Lifesavers. Today I learned about another hard candy that was in stores long befor the arrival of Lifesavers. That was the roll of Necco wafers.

Today the Necco company announced that it is going to stop using artificial colors and flavors in its wafers. It is going to use only red beet juice, purple cabbage, cocoa powder, paprika and tumeric. It will, for the time being, need to discontinue the making of lime wafers. However, the Necco company will continue to make chocolate, lemon, orange, clove, wintergreen, cinnamon and licorice wafers.

I wonder if Abdu'l-Baha ever tried a Necco wafer. I find it hard to guess what flavor he might have tried. I would guess that it was either a lemon, orange or cinnamon wafer. Those are flavors that I have frequently encountered whenever I was enjoying some Perisan food.

No comments: