Saturday, May 23, 2009

Thoughts on a Muted Birthday

On May 19, 2009, I put this question on my blog: "My friend has a birthday coming up. How can I demonstrate consideration to my friend on that special day?" I was suggesting a possible question for submission to www.factoidz.com.

Why did I think that someone might submit such a question to the writers at factoidz? I had that thought because I have answered other questions about the developement of virtues. I wrote one article about encouraging a child to overcome night fears. I wrote other articles that were intended to help someone who needed to develop a more enthusiastic approach to llife.

Today I want to talk about the idea of giving a friend an added amount of considertion on his or her birthday. I am writing about that today, because this is the date of Abdu'l-Baha's birthday. Now, I want to make it clear that Abdu'l-Baha did NOT want friends to throw him a big party on his birthday.

Today is also a Baha'i Holy Day. For that reason, Abdu'l-Baha wanted his friends and family to take part in the planned celebrations for this day. He was pleased to find that his birthday had been given little consideration.

No comments: